WELCOME TO GARDEN
Welcome to Garden School
Great schools are ones where children are known, where their talents are tapped, their interests engaged, and their minds challenged and enriched. Garden was founded in 1923 to meet the need for a great school – a high-quality, individualized, independent program.
The vision then was to serve the bright and talented young people of Queens and the core of this neighborhood school’s early vision remains unchanged. The faculty combine the wisdom of our traditions with the science of educational research to offer every student an extraordinary experience that maximizes their academic and personal potential, in an atmosphere where the family is included and the individual nurtured.
Garden is a school on the move. We are growing new programs every day, making a meaningful impact in the community, and building partnerships across Queens and the city so students have the best of what can be found both inside and outside of the classroom. We are doing this with an entrepreneurial spirit, a focus on the future, and a team of innovative and dedicated educators.
This year we published the Road to 100, a new strategic plan guiding us toward our centennial. The plan initiates growth in programs in the Humanities, the Arts, Robotics and Sciences, Athletics and Wellness, and more. It enabled us to embark on the most significant campus renovation in a generation this summer and to begin similar work on key spaces like a new Fitness Center, Science and Engineering Labs, Art studios, and more.
While thinking big, we remain a tight knit family-oriented school that help students develop by tapping into their curiosity and teaching them to see one another as members of a rich and diverse global community. It is that sense of being part of something larger – a culture of caring for and reaching out to others – that makes Garden a home away from home for our students and keeps our over 2000 alums coming back to serve and mentor.
Garden’s “small-by-design” ethic enables us to focus on the individual child while also being large enough to ensure students are afforded every social, academic, athletic, and creative opportunity out there. Our intentional and nurturing environment creates a safe space for students to set ambitious goals, grow intellectually, and take appropriate risks in the classroom, on the stage, and on the field.
Beginning with the careful nurturing of our youngest students, Garden’s program culminates in a collaborative college counseling process which yields acceptances at top schools every year. At each level of the school, we work to understand the goals of families while preparing children to take on their next challenge be it first grade, middle school, or college. As an independent school we are free to make choices for students, act nimbly, and be responsive. Our independence enables faculty to focus on their passion for teaching and present material in a way that builds toward the highest standards.
Garden low tuition, compared with that for other independent schools in the NYC area, makes us a realistic option to a broad range of families. Our diverse student body reflects the dynamic Queens community and helps facilitate an inherent ongoing cultural exchange. Our commitment to access, diversity, and individualization is intrinsic to all that we do and core to the strong relationships formed here.
When you choose a school, you place trust in the institution, and the institution promises to offer the best experience in an environment in which your child will be seen, understood, and valued as an individual. We partner with all of our families to fulfill that promise. Thousands of families have put their trust in us, and our nearly 100 years of success with students prove that their trust has paid off.
Please peruse the website, check out our social media, and come in a for a visit to learn more about what awaits your child and your family at Garden School.
Christopher F. Herman MEd
Head of School
- Accredited by the New York State Association of Independent Schools (NYSAIS)
- Grades N – 12 college preparatory program
- Extensive range of clubs (Debate, Model United Nations, Key Club, Student Government, Yearbook, etc.)
- Full complement of Athletic Programs, Member of ISAL (baseball, basketball, soccer, softball, tennis, volleyball)
- Comprehensive college counseling
- Hours: 7:45 am for early drop-off until 2:40 pm with After-School Program running until 6:00 pm
- Professionally-led After-School Program with Foundations Classes open to non-Garden students
- Daily high-quality meal program
- Door-to-door bus transportation available
- Tuition assistance and Merit Scholarships available
- Student body, Nursery-Grade 12: 300 students
- Over 25 nationalities represented
- Percentage of students who graduate to a college of their choice: 99+%
- Average class size: 15
- Student-to-faculty ratio: 6:1
- WiFi throughout the building
- SmartBoard Technology
- iPads and Laptops
World Languages Program:
- Mandarin: Pre-K through Grade 3
- French: Grades 4, 5, 6
- French or Spanish: Grades 7-12
- Art classes in our Art Studio
- Music classes for Grades Nursery through 8 and Instrument Instruction
- Weekly Chess Classes for Grades K-5
- AP Courses offered
- New York State Association of Independent Schools
- Middle States Association of Schools and Colleges
- The Guild of Independent Schools
- The Parents League of New York
- National Association of Secondary School Principals
- National Association for College Admission Counseling
- New York State Association for College Admission Counseling
- The College Board
- Independent School Athletic League
- Girls’ Independent School Athletic League